Friday, September 20, 2013

Writing an Original Song

I recently began covering songs and putting them up on YouTube. Like this:


And to be honest, it's been hard.

I know how to read music and have been singing and playing instruments for as long as I've been alive, but I've never had to figure out the music and piece a song together by ear.

Besides just not knowing which notes to play, it has been difficult to mix the music together and create a nicely produced sound.

Don't get me wrong--it's also been really fun. Or I wouldn't keep doing it.

I've learned a lot through producing and editing my own covers, and I am excited to continue to grow as an artist outside of covering prewritten material.

Which leads me to today's Fearless Friday. My intention was to write an original song.

I wish I could say that I succeeded, but I was unable to really finish an idea. However, I'm going to fight that critical perfectionist inner talk and say I'm really proud of myself for starting.

As someone with a Type A personality who tends to think things should be perfect in order to be considered a success, it's often hard to even begin a project for fear it won't come out as intended. That's something I've acknowledged and that I'm working on changing.

It's scary to begin writing, which is one of the main reasons why I started this blog. It is a way for me to write a little each day, regardless of how I may judge each post's quality. On the whole, I'm very proud and excited to have given myself this goal and been able to accomplish it on a daily basis.

Just like I'm proud today for venturing into the songwriting realm.

And just like creating the covers, it will be a process that will develop over time--from learning the structure of a song to writing and producing the music to making my first original video. I'll be sure to post it here on another Fearless Friday when the time comes!

Feel free to check out my other covers here.

Follow the Moose Trail:
Twitter @KaitlinMoose

Do you write your own music? If so, what is the hardest part for you? (And also, where can I find your music?!) Let me know with a comment below!

And if you liked this post, don't forget to subscribe and share it with your friends! Thanks and happy Fearless Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment