Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Melissa's Chicken Recipe

Basically fried teriyaki chicken aka the best thing you've ever tasted.

So for my first actual cooking attempt, I decided to make my all-time favorite chicken. And even though it has been my favorite ever since I tasted it as a little girl, everyone in my family calls it "Melissa's chicken" because it was my oldest sister's favorite as well. But, hey, she gave me my scratch map as a Christmas present a few years ago and was the one who told me to start blogging, so we'll give her the chicken namesake :)

You will need:
  • chicken breasts/chicken tenders
  • 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 1 t ground ginger
  • 1 t sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Let's do it:
  1. Cut chicken breasts into 3-4 strips (or desired size).
  2. Combine 1st 5 ingredients (teriyaki, sherry, ginger, sugar, garlic)
  3. Marinate in a ziploc bag for a few hours, refrigerated -OR- 30 min. room temperature (I think the longer you marinate, the better it tastes!)

     4.  Combine corn starch and flour in large bowl.
     5.  Heat oil over med-high heat in large pan.
     5.  Roll chicken in mixture and shake off the excess flour. Carefully add to oil.


      6.  Cook for 3 min. on each side (or until golden brown).
      7.  Drain on paper towels.
      

Melissa's chicken is the perfect finger food for football tailgates or just for when you need to feel better about life. I'm proud to say my batch came out perfectly and relatively easily, minus that one time the hot oil thought it could threaten me with its mad jump skills. Not cool, hot oil. Not cool.

Follow the Moose Trail:
Twitter @KaitlinMoose

What's your favorite recipe from childhood? If you made Melissa's chicken, how did it come out? Let me know with a comment below!

And if you liked this post, don't forget to share it with your friends! Thanks and happy Tasty Tuesday!

1 comment: