Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Eating Escargot in Nice, France

Hey, remember that one time my mom and I tried snails in France? Well now you can:


This occurred in Nice, France along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. That's Nice: not like, "it's so nice to see you," but like, "we are the knights who say 'Ni!'."

And while we were in France, I felt it necessary to try the French specialty, escargot.


Yes, it does look like the snails asphyxiated on their own vomit. And it pretty much tasted like that too.

They are usually cooked in garlic butter with ingredients like parsley, pine nuts, and thyme (though there are different preparations). The snails are served on this special tray for the shells, as you can see pictured above.

Escargot is a common French appetizer, though I wonder if they just keep it around to make money off of tourists thinking they need to try it.


I was the tourist who convinced my mom we needed to try it.

You really have to work for your food with the special tongs and fork provided. I felt like Julia Roberts struggling with those slippery little suckers.

So, finally...

What did it taste like?
I don't know. Gross chewy with a weird after-taste? Like the world's biggest booger that you worked really hard to pick out?

I definitely recommend trying it for yourself. I'm just trying to warn you: escargot is not so Nice.

Ba-dum-chhhh.


Follow the Moose Trail:
Twitter @KaitlinMoose

How was your escargot experience? What should I try next? Let me know with a comment below!

And if you liked this post, don't forget to share it with your friends! Thanks and happy Tasty Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment