Friday, September 13, 2013

I Love You

Yesterday marked the 12th anniversary of the terrible September 11th attacks on our nation.

I was in 6th grade and my social studies teacher, Ms. Funderburk, told us we would remember this day for the rest of our lives. It's something our grandchildren would ask us about and we would be able to tell them exactly where we were when we first heard the news.

She's right. I remember.

I remember that I was in the hallway on the way to my locker when my friend turned around from hers to tell me hijacked planes had hit the Twin Towers. I remember the solemn look on my 5th period social studies teacher's face as she explained the events of that morning and the gravity of the situation.

I remember kids being picked up from school by worried parents. And I remember the fear that I wasn't being picked up because something had happened to my dad who was flying to Boston that day.

I was 11 years old.

And the videos of the World Trade Center collapsing, the images of people desperately jumping from the windows, and the voices of those on Flight 93 speaking to their loved ones will be engrained in my memory forever.
~
But I also can't forget the love that came out of such a tragic situation. It brought people together and strengthened our country. People weren't afraid to show their loved ones how much they care--a response which often happens after tragedies, in our saddest and most vulnerable moments.

At funerals, friends and family embrace and share how much they mean to one another. After someone's near-death experience, we want to hold onto them and express how grateful we are that they are in our lives. With an unexpected prognosis, we try to spend all the time left showing how much we care.

When we may not have another chance, we remember to love.

~
My maternal grandmother told me the weirdest story when I was a little girl.

She wanted me to show her the stage that my granddaddy and mom had just built for my room, but I didn't want to at that point in time. (I don't really remember why. Probably my room was a mess and I didn't want her to scold me.)

So she began to regale me with this story about a grandmother wanting to see her granddaughter's new bird. 

The grandmother would ask to see the bird and the granddaughter would put off showing her. She kept asking and asking with the girl always saying maybe next time, maybe next time. Until one day she finally went to get the bird to show her grandmother, only to find that the cat had eaten it.

I looked at my mother with a face that must have read confusion and horror. And in an effort to calm me, my mom winked and said with a playful smile, "Is the cat going to eat your stage?"

~
If you're wondering what in the world, then join the club. It took me much longer than I'd like to admit to figure out what my grandmother was talking about.

Don't wait until it's too late to say or do the things you want in life. 

If we are all seeking love and acceptance, why wouldn't we make sure we tell our loved ones just how much we love them? Sometimes it may feel scary or downright absurd to speak your true feelings; they may make someone uncomfortable or question your motives. (Who is this creeper?)

But if what you're saying is genuine, then I say go for it! Use those three little words. Tell people how you feel. Thankfully, I grew up in a family where hugs were commonplace and "I love you" was heard at least every time you ended a conversation.

And, unfortunately, you never know when it will be too late. Accidents happen and diseases occur. Life is so precious and there's no need to wait to show your love.

To all my friends and family who have loved and supported me throughout the years--through all my crazy ideas, mental breakdowns, punishing self-criticisms, and problems, big and small--I say thank you and I love you. I don't know how I would be where I am today without you.

Follow the Moose Trail:
Twitter @KaitlinMoose

Where were you when you heard the news of the September 11th attacks? How do you show your loved ones you care about them? Let me know with a comment below!

And if you liked this post, don't forget to share the love with your friends! Thanks and happy Thoughtful Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment